Provide library resources, services, and expertise in a friendly and professional manner to the residents of Manheim Township and the greater community.
The Manheim Township Public Library provides to its community a vibrant community center where people connect and have access to what they need to achieve their greatest potential.
Our Focus Areas, Goals and Action Steps
Develop partnerships that build community and support the Library’s mission.
Partner with organizations that support and promote reading, literacy and lifelong learning.
- Develop programming partnerships with the Manheim Township Recreation Department, Manheim Township Historical Society, and other local organizations.
- Strengthen partnerships with nonprofit organizations for use of Library laptops to teach information literacy.
- Collaborate with senior communities on book discussions and computer literacy.
- Develop a Family Place-like program and submit for EITC Grant.
Facilitate bringing people together to foster community dialogue and global issues awareness.
- Host co-sponsored film discussions and lecture series.
- Host TED Talks or similar live presentations with discussions.
Make the Library easier to use and more accessible.
Improve accessibility by offering more remote locations for service delivery.
- Create a master plan after studying community needs for remote service locations.
- Explore options for delivering children’s early literacy programming outside the Library.
- Post videos of MTPL story times on our/Township’s website.
Develop customer service standards and train all staff to respond consistently.
- Increase cross training to provide assistance at the point of question.
- Evaluate all staff on customer service standards and provide training where improvement is needed.
- Maintain core competencies for service desk staff.
Utilize technology to improve service in coordination with the Library System of Lancaster County.
- Improve public access to the most current appropriate and affordable online resources.
- Utilize technology to personalize and increase self-service opportunities.
- Develop instructional LibGuides and instructional videos for the public to be posted on our website.
Improve visibility and awareness of Library services, programs, collections and databases.
Deliver library messages, utilizing social media, website, e-mail, traditional media, and out-of-building locations to maximize awareness.
- Develop and utilize a variety of methods to target area demographic groups.
- Incorporate more promotional social media and video into public relations efforts.
Improve promotional efforts with targeted groups including the Manheim Township School District, private schools, other Township Departments, neighboring colleges and senior communities.
- Target databases and services for promotion to students, adults and senior communities.
- Promote library event partnerships on Library website and social media.
- Make appointments to visit and present promotional program to groups.
Secure, stable and sufficient funding streams from the community and businesses.
Identify reliable sources of revenue for daily operations as well as long-term planning and investment.
- Create a workflow model for fundraising and public relations.
- Identify staffing needs.
- Determine budget for hiring a professional fundraiser.
- Plan fundraising and promotional events.
Visit potential lead donors and offer community presentations.
- Develop a call list and script for a first contact by telephone.
- Make appointments to visit potential major donors or sponsors.
- Make appointments and visit business owners, community leaders and those identified as potential lead donors.
Create promotional, fundraising materials and presentations.
- Identify and create lists of giving opportunities (naming opportunities, wish list, program sponsorships, etc.).
- Work with graphic designer to develop a budget for and produce PR materials.
- Develop a professional visual presentation which can be delivered with or without technology.
Maximize grant opportunities.
- Develop a list of grant opportunities with giving patterns and deadlines.
- Identify grant writing assistance.
- Identify and apply for grant support for early childhood literacy and for digitization of local history projects.
- Submit grant applications.