We’re a Gold-star library in the PA Forward® Star Program!
This program is an initiative from the Pennsylvania Library Association that promotes the core tenet that: “With the right support, libraries are ideally positioned to become the community centers of information, technology, and learning that will fuel educational and economic opportunity for all of our citizens.” Public, academic, and school libraries voluntarily participate in the PA Forward® Star Program. To reach each Star level, a committee of library peers evaluates how the library has integrated the PA Forward® tenet into its programming and communication. Each library’s approach to implementation is individualized and responsive to the community’s needs.
It’s not just about books!
PA Forward® highlights five areas of competency that move Pennsylvania forward. The five areas are basic literacy, information literacy, civic and social literacy, health literacy, and financial literacy. These literacies focus on equipping Pennsylvanians with the 21st-century toolkit they need—to navigate safely and effectively online, to build skills for jobs & everyday life, and to become responsible and respectful citizens. A PA Forward® Star lets you know that your local library is committed to these outcomes.
What does MTPL do for you?
MTPL creates opportunities for our patrons to engage in lifelong learning through technology, discussion, and lectures.
- Our extensive online resources include eBooks, eAudiobooks, language learning, webinars, directories, journal abstracts, digital newspapers, and more—plus: a friendly & helpful team of librarians to help you navigate them.
- We offer educational programs that help MTPL users evaluate what they find online so they can make better informed decisions.
- Our librarians provide one-on-one support for learners to find relevant and credible resources.
- We promote specific types of knowledge that empower PA residents to become active & successful citizens.
- Our discussion groups foster a love of reading, dialogue, and personal growth.