Minors must apply in person for new passports or renewals.
Teens ages 16 and 17 must have proof of parental awareness of intent to apply. Parental awareness can be shown either by supplying a notarized statement of consent from at least one parent or guardian, or by bringing one parent or guardian to co-sign the form. See the DOS website for more information about applicants who are 16 and 17.
You will need to bring the following items:
- Completed DS-11 Passport Application
- Proof of Citizenship – Birth Certificate, Naturalization Certificate, OR expired (but not damaged) passport
- Photo ID – Valid Driver’s License, Parent’s Driver’s License, or previous passport (see the DOS website for other acceptable forms of identification)
- Photocopies of the Proof of Citizenship and Photo ID
- Passport Photo – Taken at the appointment time or brought from another photo site (see the DOS website for the detailed photo requirements)
- Payment – For U.S. Department of State fees one check or money order for each application (made out to U.S. Department of State), and for Acceptance Facility fees a separate payment in cash, check or money order (made out to MTPL). See more information in the Fees chart below.
Failure to bring ALL items will result in rescheduling/cancellation of appointment.
For more information the parts of an application, see Parts of an Application.