Minors must apply in person for new passports or renewals.
Children 15 and under must attend the appointment with BOTH parents present. A parent who cannot attend should provide a notarized Consent Form DS-3053. See the Department of State website for more information about applicants who are 15 and under.
Applicants aged 16 and 17 are considered adults for passport purposes (i.e., passport lasts ten years, adult fees apply). However, the teen must show parental awareness of passport application. MTPL recommends teens bring one parent or guardian to co-sign. Teens must provide their own valid ID or bring a parent with valid ID to identify them. See the DOS website for more information about applicants who are 16 and 17.
You will need to bring the following items:
- Completed DS-11 Passport Application (see the DOS website for a printable copy of the form) All forms and copies must be single-sided.
- Proof of Citizenship – Birth Certificate, Naturalization Certificate, OR expired (but not damaged) passport
- Child’s Birth Certificate or other proof of parental relationship.
- Photo ID for each parent – (see the DOS website for other acceptable forms of identification)
- Photocopies of the Proof of Citizenship, Proof of Parental Relationship (if different from citizenship), and Photo ID
- Passport Photo – Photos can be taken during your appointment for an additional charge or brought from another photo site (see the DOS website for the detailed photo requirements)
- Payment – For U.S. Department of State fees one check or money order for each application (made out to U.S. Department of State), and for Acceptance Facility fees a separate payment in cash, check or money order (made out to MTPL). See more information in the Fees chart below.
Failure to bring ALL items will result in rescheduling/cancellation of appointment.
For more information the parts of an application, see Parts of an Application.